The Institute for Excellence in Writing Blog

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sleeping Beauty

I am schizophrenic when it comes to my spinning. It seems I am either all in or all out. Lately I've been all in in a big way. Not only have my spindles been seeing a lot of action, but I finally completed spinning a project that has been sleeping for several months on my Rose!

Frankly, I can't remember when, exactly, I began spinning on this lovely lace, but I believe I worked on the first bobbin more than six months ago.


Lace Singles
 I spun the fiber (Blue Faced Leicester) with a worsted (short draw) method with my wheel set on the second highest ratio.

It seemed like it took forever! Of course, when I let the first bobbin sleep for almost half a year, that may account for why I felt that way! Eventually I settled down to business, and I quickly spun up the second bobbin. The very next day I plied everything on my highest ratio setting, and that DID take forever!
Finally plied!
I only had a small amount left on my remaining bobbin, so I did a fairly good job of guestimating my fiber. After that, it was time to skein it on the niddy noddy.

Some day I may invest in a skeiner, especially if I start spinning more and more laceweight, but for now, it's a wonderful way to run my fingers over the entire length of the yarn, noting any flaws or differences in grist.

Recently I discovered a new scent of Eucalan that I've fallen in love with.
Wrapture is Rapturous!
I first heard about it on the Craftlit podcast, but as I only go through wool wash about once every five years or so, so it took me awhile to justify buying it. I'm so glad I did! It's a delicious and decadent scent of night-blooming jasmine, one of my all-time favorites! I washed the yarn and hung it up to dry under no tension.
Because of our lovely Florida climate, it took an entire day to dry, but I think it turned out fabulous!


I'm not certain what I want to knit out of it, but I've got a few ideas, namely either Citron Grand or Salish Sea. I'm open for suggestions, though! If you have any ideas, please send me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment