The Institute for Excellence in Writing Blog

Monday, March 30, 2015

Still Waters

Yesterday was a pretty typical day. It began early, with class planning, grading, and research. That's one of the lovely things about worshiping on a Saturday night- the Sunday morning quiet in the house and the determined application of mind to task. There was much to be done- I needed to plan activities for my British Lit class on connotations and imagery. The math class I was facilitating was starting a new book, and I needed to prepare for that. And later that evening I was giving an evaluation in reading to a sweet little girl. Oh, and of course my own kids' work needed grading!

When my husband asked if I'd like to get outside for a walk, though, I didn't hesitate! It was gorgeous, take-your-breath-away weather, with sunny, clear skies, cool temperatures, and green buds everywhere. We gathered up our kids (at least the ones who like to walk) and headed out the door and around the corner to Gourd Island Conservation Area, one of our favorite hiking spots. It felt so good to stretch my legs! The grasses were blowing, the insects were buzzing, and all the pressures of life slipped from my shoulders.
Irises along the banks of a stream
We deviated a little on the hike, and took a path we'd never taken before and came upon this scene. The waters were still. The flowers were brilliant. All was calm. It was such a delicious delight, such a supreme surprise to find this piece of prettiness.

It was like what the psalmist sang when he wrote of being led beside the still waters. It restored my soul. It gave me energy, joy, and peace that carried me through the rest of my busy day, and it is staying with me even today.

I am reminded of Walden.
“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature.” 
― Henry David ThoreauWalden: Or, Life in the Woods

The tonic of wilderness. Yes, I needed that yesterday, and it will carry me through today! I hope it won't be too long before I can return, refill, and refresh.
Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment