The Institute for Excellence in Writing Blog

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Bag Ladies

Most of you know that I am a Knitter.  It's one of those defining words for me.  Some other definitions (in no particular order of significance) include:  Christian, wife, mother, homeschooler, reader, writer, animal lover, and spinner. As a Knitter, there is a certain amount of tools and supplies that I need in order to be organized, keep my projects clean, and be the best I can be in my craft.  Among these items is a system to hold my projects.

It has taken me many years of trial and error, but I have finally found a container system that works:  Tom Bihn bags.  A little over a year ago I bought my first Tom Bihn bag, an Imago.  I had also considered the Swift, which is specifically branded as a knitting/crafting bag, but being a cross-body bag wearer, the Imago appealed to me more.  After debating color choices and fabric choices (ballistic nylon or Cordua nylon), I decided on a Navy/Cork Imago with the Wasabi lining.
Imago, open and ready for travel!
My Imago has served me well ever since I purchased it.  It has traveled as far as Scotland, carried many different knitting projects, and kept me organized as well.  I know that it was money well spent.

Since I've purchased the Imago, I have gone on to purchase the Synapse 19, the Swift, the Side Effect, as well as many organizing accessories.  Each of these items has given me a great deal of pleasure in using them, but here's one thing I didn't count on getting from them - a friend!
Meet Michelle, also known as Appliejuice!
Here's how it happened. I was at the library a couple of weeks ago waiting for my daughter to finish up a craft project. While I was waiting, I took out my knitting from my Swift and proceeded to while away the time in my usual manner. I hadn't been there long when this lovely lady came up to me and asked me if she could join me. Well you guessed it, this was Michelle!

While we worked, we talked.  She noticed my knitting bag right off and asked me how I liked it. I then began to sing the praises of Tom Bihn. Some of those praises included how the company is located in the U.S.A., and it pays its workers fair wages. I also appreciate how they source virtually all of their materials from domestically produced fabrics. The designs are very well considered and extremely functional, and they are built to last as well.

I pointed her to the Ravelry group, and suggested she check out the company. We talked about other things as well. I was excited to learn that she also homeschools and actually has a child older than mine!  Yay! A mom who has wisdom! Oh yes, and she blogs. And unlike my little baby blog, she has a respectable audience! I recommend you check it out!

So, I guess the long and short of it is, get yourself a Bihn bag and take it out on the town with you.  You may just find that you make a new friend, which is a precious thing indeed!
Photo courtesy of Appliejuice.  She's a great photographer!


1 comment:

  1. I had a great time at the library and soooo enjoyed having a look at the Tom Bihn bags. It is very helpful to see them in person!

    ReplyDelete